[ale] mail server with dynamic IP?

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Thu Jan 20 06:38:28 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Tim Watts <tim at cliftonfarm.org> wrote:

> I'm losing confidence in the mail forwarding service I use and am
> thinking of dropping it. This may be just the excuse for me to set up my
> own mail server at home, which is a project I've wanted to do for a long
> time. But here's the thing: I don't have a static IP address. Would this
> be a horribly foolish thing to embark on if I don't?

Friends don't let friends host mail servers on dynamic DNS!  You might get
it to work, but it will bite you when you don't have time to deal with it
and you will lose mail.

If it isn't too much network transfer I could host it from my linode VPS
provided you agree not to spam people or do those annoying forwards so many
people do... And I am sure others on the list could do it as well.  How much
mail transfer per month do you have?

You can also use Google Apps Partner Edition to host it for free, and it has
quite a good web interface and great spam filtering.  We use it for
StarrySkies.net mail and have a number of people using it.  And I also have
my dear old mom using it and I have provided her mail as well as others
since 95/96.  If we were not running mailman and wordpress I would consider
not running mail servers anymore and host it all at Google, the service is
that good.

It appears you are using dyndns to forward mail to your Mindspring/Earthlink
DSL, aka dynamic IP.  It would work better to host it on Google or a VPS and
use a client to download the mail, getmail4 to your local machine or your
regular client Evolution.  And continue to send out mail through Earthlink
like you are now, through a properly configured VPS or Google.

Chuck