[ale] kuro-box pro

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:06:05 EST 2011

Anyone else had luck with the Kuro-Box Pros given away last year?   I
obtained a brand-new 500-gb SATA hard drive and plugged it into mine,
but beyond that I'm confuzzled.  Allegedly, pressing the reset button
for 5 secs will result in a beep and then the system will format the
drive and install some kind of ARM9 distro on it.  Alas, the only
beeps I am getting out of the system are on boot and when I hold the
power down for 9 secs to shut it down.   It appears that it's going
through some kind of boot sequence, 'cause if I hold the reset button
down and power it on I get a different set of beeps than if I simply
power it on.  The machine doesn't seem to be enabling any kind of
TCP/IP interface, with or without access to a dhcp server.  According
to the doc, it should find a dhcp server or configure its eth0 to
192.168.11.150 if it doesn't see one on the network.

I found some web resources, including a wiki (
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Welcome_to_the_Kurobox_Wiki
). From it, I gather that you can theoretically solder a socket to a
UART already present on the motherboard in order to access an actual
console with an rs232 terminal. The pictures of the motherboard on the
wiki don't seem to match what I am seeing inside my box, although the
name and exterior pictures look good.

-- CHS