[ale] OT -- Questions about how to get funds for open source

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jan 18 15:02:43 EST 2011

On 01/17/2011 04:09 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:

> Thanks, I didn't want to spot light openSUSE. This we have so many
> people traveling they told use they can't cover the total cost, but I
> am being asked to travel to LA, Austin, and Indiana. I love doing
> this, but I really don't have the funds to do it. I just wonder how
> the others do it. Most Ambassadors for Fedora, are Red Hat Employes.
> Most of the Ubuntu folks work for Canocial. Of course most of the
> folks that are that booths work for the companies they are
> representing.

>From my limited experience at conferences in the southeast, many of the
people staffing boothes and givings talks about distributions like
Ubuntu and Fedora or software like Postgres were not employees. Instead,
they were volunteers who had other day jobs. I had always assumed they
were traveling on their own dime. Of course, most of them weren't
traveling any farther than they could drive in a day. Perhaps you should
limit your activities the same way. Go to the conferences you can
cheaply attend, and encourage other openSUSE ambassadors who are closer
to LA, Austin, and Indiana to do the same.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts