[ale] [OT] speed report

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Jan 14 17:51:04 EST 2011

Since the Atnex outage thread has had such a healthy life I thought I'd
fork this topic to speed testing reports for whatever kind of service
you pay for.  Here's some stats for this moment in time for our network
connected on AT&T DSL Extreme 6MB/512K (residential):

(NOTE:  Keep in mind that my wife was working in the studio when I did
this, kids watching Netflix on one BD and two other machines online in
the studio during test - some taken during pulling files from and to FTP
from the studio.  I will post static tests w/no other n/w activity later
in the evening.)

I'm all ears if anyone has a better test site to use.  I'm sure there
are better ones...

Tested:    2011-01-14 17:33
Site:        http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1
Server:    TekSavvy - Toronto, ON
Latency:  113ms
Down:      2447 Kb/s
Up:          427 Kb/s
Notes:     LAN has Netflix streaming to a BD and three other PCs on the
n/w connected w/only one of those actively on FTP

Tested:    2011-01-14 17:37
Server:    Comcast - Northern VA
Latency:  23ms
Down:     3465 Kb/s
Up:          408 Kb/s

Tested:    2011-01-14 17:38
Server:    Sprint - Chicago, IL
Latency:  43ms
Down:      3228 Kb/s
Up:          377 Kb/s

Tested:    2011-01-14 17:39
Server:    Net at ccess - Parsippany, NJ
Latency:  51ms
Down:     1339 Kb/s
Up:          409 Kb/s

Tested:    2011-01-14 17:40