[ale] sendmail configuration

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Jan 12 09:42:52 EST 2011

In your sendmail.mc (typically in /etc/mail) look for line:
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl

Remove the dnl at start (this is "do not load" which essentially
comments out the entry).   Then replace the "smtp.your.provider" with
your Exchange host.

Then run "make -C /etc/mail" - this will recreate your sendmail.cf.
(Note you need to have both the sendmail and sendmail.cf packages
installed - Sendmail by itself doesn't include the ability to make
Sendmail.cf.).

As noted by Chris your Exchange server has to be configured to allow
connections from the Sendmail host.