[ale] Photo Management

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Jan 11 15:44:29 EST 2011

The images are (99%) JPG.  I'm not concerned so much with editing the photos
-- I don't mind separate apps for organization and editing.  The files are
all available via a SAMBA share, and locally on the system that has them.
It looks like XMP is the way to store more data than EXIF can handle, so
that would probably be what I'm looking at.

I'm about at the point of doing something web-based, but if there are tools
out there, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.  Web-based makes it harder to
get into an editor without remembering the path, opening separately, etc.

Right now, they're not organized in a meaningful way.  I might have, for
example, a ~/Photos/Trips/Nashville_2006 with 150-200 photos in the folder
from that trip.

It's honestly a bit surprising this issue hasn't been properly addressed.
Maybe it's time to really learn some python and get busy, but I hate to
reinvent the wheel.  Just seems like with so many tools (F-Spot, Shotwell,
etc.) someone would have run across this before.

David

David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
GNU/Linux System Architect
GPG: 0x5DEA789B