[ale] Remounting R/W After Aborted Journal

Drew Wade andrewiwade at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:29:42 EST 2011

Jim,

You really need to fsck that volume to correct the problem.

Since it is in read only mode, you need to umount it or umount -l it if it
doesn't respond to umount.

Then fsck the logical volume.  Then once that completes you need to remount
it.  Even if the application is happily running, if it tries to retrieve a
piece of data on a errored filesystem you risk feeding it bad data which it
could send downstream (to a DB or another post processing application) and
run into even more problems.

I'd suggest telling the customer that you need to fix the filesystem and get
some outage time from the app owners, then umount and fsk it.  If that
fails, you'll have to go to single user mode and fsck it (just make sure you
unmount it even in single user mode before the fsck).

Andrew