[ale] Remounting R/W After Aborted Journal

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jan 11 12:11:52 EST 2011

Hi,

I have a server whose link to an iSCSI volume was interrupted for so
long that writes were lost and the volume was remounted read-only.

kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 1
0174
kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sdf1
kernel: Aborting journal on device sdf1.

A long-running series of processes are currently using the volume
without problems, but of course they will blow up if they try to write
anything to it. I thought I might be able to remount it read-write
without unmounting it first, but this isn't the case.

If I try "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/foo", I'm told
"mount: block device /dev/disk/by-label/foo is write-protected, mounting
read-only" and "EXT3-fs error (device sdf1): ext3_remount: Abort forced
by user" is logged.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or do I need to bite the bullet and
interrupt the running job to unmount and remount the volume?

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts