[ale] A reason NOT to remove Windows from a laptop

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon Jan 10 12:52:55 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 09:53 -0500, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Several years ago when Dell first "supported" RHEL on their servers I
> was incensed because their "support" obviously knew nothing about Linux
> and always suggested I boot into Windows to fix issues.  They even once
> sent me a Linux BIN file to install and when I had issues with it rather
> than troubleshooting it again suggested doing the update using Windows.
> My comments to them were enough apparently to get them to simply refuse
> to answer the phone.   I actually figured out the error in their BIN and
> fixed it and ran it myself.
>
> Nowadays though, they actually have a Linux Enterprise team that is
> familiar with Linux and can actually talk to you reasonably about your
> hardware issues without having to suggest installing Windows to fix
> them.   I have no problem running RHEL on Dell PowerEdge.
>
> A couple of years ago they announced support of Ubuntu on their laptops
> but I don't recall the details of that support.   You may need to ask
> for the Linux team but I don't know.

As a former Dell Enterprise Alternative OS Support queue member (I was
among the first 13 hired in OKC) I know that when you say "Linux" you
will get routed to a counter part (only no longer former).  I did not
work for "home" but Enterprise.  I don't know what the "home" users did.
I left in 2007, but in the enterprise section, regardless if you had
paid support or were just a "basic"(non-paid support) customer and you
were not running Windows, I got to talk to you.

Dell maintains an IRC channel devoted to Linux on Dell as well as a full
range of "how-tos", and a (at least used to be busy) Linux on Dell
mailing list.  The (then) chief Linux architect now works directly for
the CTO as "Technology Advisor".

I feel like I know you better by sharing.

--
Damon
damon at damtek.com