[ale] gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 21:24:51 EST 2011

After having major problems with kdm on Kubuntu 10.10, I decided to try
adding Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 to see if I could at least get reliable logins.
I can log in fine. But if I try to log in any other user, I get:

/usr/lib/gconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256

If I click on OK, the warning goes away, but there is no usable desktop,
just a background.  The only thing I can do from there is reboot. I have
googled this issue to death. The most common suggestion is to change the
permissions of /tmp or /etc/gconf and its subdirectories. None of this
helps. The Ubuntu forums have lots of threads on the error, but no
definitive cause or solution. This is almost driving me to Windows as my
standard desktop...after fifteen years of using Linux.

If anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Kdm, by the way, will let me log in just fine. But if I log out, the kdm
screen turns to video mush and I can't do anything with it. So, Linux is not
at all functional for multiple users. Only one person can log in and use the
system.