[ale] hottest mirrors for Ubuntu

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Sun Jan 9 16:16:03 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 03:37:02PM -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.  Yes, I am using opendns.

Mirroring uses your DNS for geolocation. So when you use opendns and it
shows you being in Albania, then the mirroring algorithm selects a mirror
near Albania.

So the suggestion is to use your ISP's DNS so that you are properly
located.

BAJ

> Sincerely,
>
> Ron
>
> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 12:25 -0500, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> > This probably relates back to the DNS thread from a week or two ago. I
> > bet you are using a DNS service other than your ISP's.
> >
> > > On Jan 9, 2011 2:18 AM, "Ron Frazier"
> > > <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I was trying to download some Ubuntu ISO's.  Ubuntu.com no longer
> > > lists
> > > the mirror sites on their site, but uses an automated routing system
> > > pick a mirror that's supposed to be close to you.  However, I kept
> > > getting sites in the UK and they were slow as tar.  I got so fed up
> > > that
> > > I started searching around for other mirrors.  I found the following
> > > list of mirrors (not sure if it's "official"):
> > >
> > > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+cdmirrors - Ubuntu mirrors list.

> > > have over 1 Gbps bandwidth.  Surprisingly, some of these are slow as
> > > tar
> > > too.  The ones below are the ones that made my Hall of Fame.  These
> > > were
> > > able to consistently maintain over 10 Mbps download speed.  My cable
> > > modem taps out at 16-20 Mbps, so, anything faster than that, I have
> > > no
> > > way of testing.  Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along so the rest
> > > of
> > > you don't have to wait 4 hours to download an ISO.
> > >
> > > http://mirror.umoss.org/ubuntu-iso/ (erratic)    - 15 - 17 Mbps
> > > http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/ - 14 - 16 Mbps
> > > http://mirrors.cs.wmich.edu/ubuntu-releases//    - 12 - 15 Mbps
> > > http://mirrors.gigenet.com/ubuntu/               - 10 - 12 Mbps
> > > http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/     - 10 - 12 Mbps
> > > http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/        - 10 - 12 Mbps
> > > http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/               - 10 - 12 Mbps
> > > http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/releases.ubuntu.com/  - 10 - 11 Mbps
> > > http://ubuntu.mirrors.tds.net/pub/releases/      - 10 - 11 Mbps
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > >
> > > Ron
> > >
> > > --

> Ron Frazier
>
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT c3energy.com

Byron A. Jeff
Department Chair: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff