[ale] hottest mirrors for Ubuntu

Sun Jan 9 12:25:58 EST 2011

This probably relates back to the DNS thread from a week or two ago. I bet
you are using a DNS service other than your ISP's.

On Jan 9, 2011 2:18 AM, "Ron Frazier" <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I was trying to download some Ubuntu ISO's.  Ubuntu.com no longer lists
the mirror sites on their site, but uses an automated routing system to
pick a mirror that's supposed to be close to you.  However, I kept
getting sites in the UK and they were slow as tar.  I got so fed up that
I started searching around for other mirrors.  I found the following
list of mirrors (not sure if it's "official"):

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+cdmirrors - Ubuntu mirrors list.

>From this list, I tested all the ones in the USA that are supposed to
have over 1 Gbps bandwidth.  Surprisingly, some of these are slow as tar
too.  The ones below are the ones that made my Hall of Fame.  These were
able to consistently maintain over 10 Mbps download speed.  My cable
modem taps out at 16-20 Mbps, so, anything faster than that, I have no
way of testing.  Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along so the rest of
you don't have to wait 4 hours to download an ISO.

http://mirror.umoss.org/ubuntu-iso/ (erratic)    - 15 - 17 Mbps
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/ - 14 - 16 Mbps
http://mirrors.cs.wmich.edu/ubuntu-releases//    - 12 - 15 Mbps
http://mirrors.gigenet.com/ubuntu/               - 10 - 12 Mbps