[ale] A reason NOT to remove Windows from a laptop

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Jan 7 16:25:55 EST 2011

BartPE (Bart's Preinstalled Environment)

This is basically a bootable live Window$ environment that can be built
on optical disk or USB storage.  We used to make custom disks at XM for
system maintenance including Ghosting certain troublesome systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE
BartPE

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
BartPE Builder

Google "bartpe" and you'll find plenty of stuff on the topic.  I think
there were some licensing issues for using the M$ build of the PE
environment but don't recall off the top of my head.

It's been a while since I've flashed a BIOS but that can be accomplished
from a DOS bootable disk if I recall.  Window$ not required....

Thankfully I find that a good live distro takes care of more problems
than a BartPE disk does.  I've had WAY more need for Linux to fix Window
$ rather than an M$ tool to fix a borked M$ build.

RinL