[ale] Best way to get dual display working (take 2k)

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 23:03:45 EST 2011

On 01/05/2011 10:24 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> On 01/05/2011 05:49 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
>> Not highly likely, but the VGA portion of the card, which runs the
>> POST program and until the drivers load to kick it into "high gear"
>> so to speak, is good but the high performance part is bad. That is
>> why I thought booting from a live CD might be good to confirm that
>> the hardware is OK and that the system boots with the new card on a
>> "clean" OS. That would narrow it down to a software config issue on
>> your system. I'm a noob with Linux so I can't help resolve the
>> software issues, but you do want to rule out the possibility of it
>> being hardware related.
>>
> I also have a problem doing that right now as since F 13, I can't boot
> a LiveCD or InstallCD. It was something to do with Award BIOS on
> Gigabyte boards. I was able to boot those DVDs by taking my DVD-ROM
> and jury-rigging one of my HDD USB enclosures to the ODD. That was one
> of the reasons why when my last board burned out I wanted to make a
> change and initially went with ASUS. I went through 3 ASUS MoBos and
> finally went back to Gigabyte. I just recently found out that there
> were some defective ASUS boards in their inventory, possibly a bad
> batch of boards.
Take that back. It was only with DVD boot with F 13. Just after sending
this I remembered that I had just installed F 14 about a week before the
old one blew up. So I tried it again with the onboard chip and was able
to boot. Retried the using the 5770 and I forgot how long it takes to
boot from CD, don't do it very often but it came up with the same boot
failure. So you may have something on that. RMA time I guess.