[ale] Better ISP?

Cornelis van Dijk cor.angela0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:34:04 EST 2011

Wew, thanks guys, this post is going to keep me busy for weeks.
I knew ale was a treasure trove.
As I said in the initial post. the AT&T guys give me this look when I
ask for Linux. On one occasion they glibly said yes, but I he still
looked flabbergasted, possibly figured that we cross that bridge when
we come to it.
I am a miserable customer anyway, we still use rabbit ears, rather the
fractal square (which works quite good) for our TV. My wife only
watches GPB; we can almost see the broadcaster on top of Stone
Mountain. I  don't watch TV much. We still get a bunch of channels,
but most of it is garbage.
About the DSL or cable "modem" can I get one at, for example, Fry's,
and configure it myself? Or is it part of the installation? One of my
older machines has still Windows XP, so I could possibly do the
initial setup and then switch to Linux?

By the way, is there an DDOS going on somewhere? I had a hard time
connecting around 21.30, took me ten minutes. Even a dialup is not
THAT slow.

To answer one of questions above. Yes, the $22.- is per month.

Thanks a lot to all of you. Glad I rejoined ale. Cor