[ale] Better ISP?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 15:50:03 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >     Do they run new wires outside or inside or both?  I suspect that
> where
> >     I'll want the device inside the house is on the complete opposite
> side
> >     from where the wires enter the house.  Luckily it's an unfinished
> >     basement, so shouldn't be too hard to run the wire across it.  :)
> >
> > The new line was from pole to "modem". After the modem you run cat5e on
> your
> > own. Pick a central location with a power socket nearby and pull wires
> around
> > the house - OR - plug in a wireless router running ddwrt and crank up the
> > output signal :-)
>
> Yeah, well, the modem can't live where the wire comes through the wall;
> that definitely wont pass the WAF.  But I'm happy to have a dedicated
> coax that runs to where I can house the modem, and then of course I'll
> run Cat5e or Cat6 through the house.
>
> Wifi wont work; it's not good enough yet (and definitely not good enough
> for HDTV).

he, he. all of the bad hdtv we see comes from comcast cable line (not the
same wire as my data) . We stream netflix over wireless to the wii with no
problems even with 2 other laptops in use on the same wifi AP.

of course the wii doesn't _do_ netflix in HD (no hdmi port).

> Thanks.
>
> -derek
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.