[ale] Best way to get dual display working (take 2k)

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 15:19:55 EST 2011

Here we go again, so now I'm starting to really feel like a ding dong,

I got a HD 5770 PCIe card yesterday from Newegg, supposedly my
integrated HD 4290 chip is compatible with HD 54xx and above. I had
already installed the proprietary Catalyst Control Center package so I
went ahead and installed the card into the primary PCIe x16 slot,
changed the BIOS settings to initialize the PCIe (PEG) video first and
had my ViewSonic display plugged into the DVI port. The BIOS portion of
the boot process got displayed where it should, got to the GRUB menu and
hit enter to boot default kernel and it just barfed as in kernel panic,
boot failure.

I then switched it back to the integrated chip and got through the boot,
logged in and launched CCC as root. CCC not only didn't see the display
hooked up to the 5770, but didn't see the card either. Doing lspci
showed 2 different video controllers, (HD 4290, HD 5770), and the GUI
app Device Manager gave full details on both video controllers, but
lsmod showed the radeon driver package, shouldn't it be fglrx or
something like that? Or am I totally out in left field somewhere?

I then went back and disabled the integrated chip throwing it fully on
to the HD 5770 card, and just got the kernel panic. I switched all back
to the original and then once logged in I removed the Catalyst package,
rebooted and the display property app only sees displays on the
integrated chip.

So what idiotic thing have I done? Or did I just miss some subtle point
somewhere? Any comments, please?