[ale] Ubuntu and the price of Unity

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Wed Jan 5 01:30:37 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's precisely my point. GNOME doesn't have to use Unity. The
> article implies that GNOME has to choose between Shell and Unity. They
> don't. So there is no reason they should fear that their code no
> longer belongs to them.

GNOME *developers* have to choose - do they continue on GNOME or move to Unity?

If Unity becomes "the" desktop, it moves users from the
free-permanently GNOME to the free-now-but-no-promises Unity. When
users move, developers move. If the developers go to
free-now-but-no-promises, that's a loss for everyone.

-Don