[ale] Better ISP?

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Jan 4 20:30:55 EST 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Cornelis van Dijk wrote:

> Hello alers,
> I recently realized that I am stuck in the Dark Ages with my dial up
> at Earthlink. Sometimes it takes five minutes to just get access to my
> email, sometimes it does not work at all. Is this a common problem
> nowadays? (I was busy for a few years with an autobiography "Panta
> Rei", www.virtualbookworm.com;  watch out, this book  slows down your
> watch if you get too close to it.)
>
> Apart from upgrading my PC's I would like to get a better, at least
> faster connection. Do I need something like DSL? I have no idea what
> else is out there.  I pay about $22.- for the dial up (about a year's
> worth of royalties!). I have experimented with other ISP's before but
> they have a tendency to go broke in a hurry. Is the "speedfactory"
> still around? If so, are they any good?  Every now and then AT&T sends
> me some salesmen, but when I ask them whether AT&T supports Linux, I
> get this stare. (Is it actually necessary for an ISP to support Linux
> in order to use them?)  Some pointers will be appreciated.

Is that $22 a month for dialup?  You can get dsl for that these days.

Speedfactory went toes up a while back.  Your best bet is going to be: dsl, u-verse or cable.  I've been perfectly happy with my u-verse.  Before that I had AT&T dsl.  There are folks on the list who swear by Comcast business class, although after the lousy residential TV service I got from them, I will never use any of their services.

> I apologize to the high flyers and system administrators for my
> trivial questions. I also apologize for the sneak commercial above, a
> justification being that the book was assembled with Linux and Latex,
> another one that I have seen worse OT's before. Cor

Until later, Geof