[ale] dd hard drive cloning over a network

Ken Price lists at nettwrek.com
Tue Jan 4 16:24:51 EST 2011

James gave you some good suggestions, here's how you do it over SSH
from the source machine.

 	* (On source machine) dd if=/dev/sda | ssh
root@[destination] dd of=/dev/sda

Something that's important to note.
You don't want to copy a LVM volume over the network to another LVM
volume. It won't work correctly and you'll corrupt the destination
volume. You can, however, copy to a file on the remote machine, and then
to the destination LVM volume.

 	* (On source machine) dd
if=/dev/VolGroup/LogVol00 | ssh root@[destination] dd
of=/home/somefilename.dump
 	* (On destination machine) dd
if=/home/somefilename.dump of=/dev/VolGroup/DestinationVol

I always add
bs=64k to the source dd command to speed things up, but it's up to you.
Hope this helps.

Ken

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 20:01:58 +0000, wrote:

Hi..
> I need to dd a hard drive from a machine on one box to a machine
on another box over a tcp network connection. How would you do that?
Would some kind of fancy command using netpipes do the job?

> -Jim
Butler
> Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Links:
------
[1]
mailto:Ale at ale.org