[ale] Zorin?

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 12:38:46 EST 2011

====
> looking at the "premium" apps that you paid extra for, seems like many
> of these are standard gnome apps that are LEFT OUT of their default
> download...
>
> http://zorin-os.webs.com/premiumpackagelist.htm
> Amarok - music player
> Audacity - music editor
> Banshee - music player
> Brasero - image burner
> VLC - media player
> xine - video player
>
> F-Spot - photo manager
> GIMP - image editor
> Inkscape - vector image editor and creator
> OpenOffice.org Drawing - image creator
> Scribus - document editor

I feel a need to note here that securing OSS project funding
by "selling" your linux package distribution is not inherently
wrong and it's not a violation of the GPL.  On investigating
their web site <http://zorin-os.webs.com/>, the download
page is pretty up front in stating:

"By purchasing a Zorin OS Extra release or by donating
you are supporting the project."

It may be that the Zorin developers are adding value in services,
testing and support, or are paying up front license extortion for
commercial media codecs or Destructive Restriction
Mechanism schemes (aka DVD CSS) in their "purchase"
versions. Their stated goal is to make the new Linux user
experience a transparent transition from the corporate
Windisease world and the challenges of doing that may
justify the directed donations.

I think the fact that they are promoting this distro through
PC World tends to confirm that their focus is on rescuing
Windisease victims with a user friendly Linux environment.
It may just be smart marketing to "sell" Linux to folks who
are heavily conditioned to expect "safe" software to cary
some kind of price tag. One could also consider it from the
perspective that Zorin users who buy into the premium
packages are simply paying for the convenience of their
ignorance. :-)

It has me curious enough that I am downloading the free
Zorin "core" distribution via Torrent to see how they are
supporting the installation process for some of the packages
included in their (conservatively) priced premium versions.
Unless they are making access to the free and freely
distributable applications in their premium offerings an
obscured, difficult or cost based process, I don't see that
they are doing anything really deceptive or dishonest.

In any case, where ever greed reigns as the sole motive
of commerce, "caveat emptor" will be the rule to abide by.

peace
aaron