[ale] cpu load 8.5 on usb to usb move

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Feb 26 11:00:46 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 08:05 -0500, Tom Freeman wrote:
> Not an engineer, but IEEE 1394 is still a better, more versital,
> robust, better standard. Thus it should be abandoned (bitter satire in
> voice there)

That pretty much seems to be the way that things go.

I was reading up on Firewire yesterday and I had no idea that it had
such a long history.  Firewire is (almost) as old as I am.  And yet,
it's still better than USB.  *shrug*

I think it's wholeheartedly stupid, the direction that we have gone with
peripherial attachment buses.  It's almost as if we've just figured that
there is so much CPU power to go around that it's okay to waste it on
things like shlepping bits from point A to point B.  Even the older
buses that had things like DMA worked better and more reliably, even if
they weren't as fast.

I don't yet have any USB 3.0 devices, but I am looking forward to
testing them out to see how well they work compared to USB 2.0 ones.
The motherboard that I bought when my last system died has 2 USB 3.0
ports.

	--- Mike