[ale] fsck opinions

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:22:21 EST 2011

Journaling has everything to do with file system integrity. The point
of a file system supporting journals is to guard against errors due to
sudden restarts or crashes. But you're right, a journal doesn't meant
the file system will _never_ be corrupted.

I think that if you are using a journaled file system then you can get
away with trying to mount it first. If the mount fails, then do the
fsck. If the mount succeeds, verify that your data is still valid, and
do a fsck during the next available down time.

In regard to a fsck taking hours, has anyone had that problem with
JFS? I use JFS on my partitions/drives where I store a lot of large
files (e.g. my DVR), and I have never had a fsck on them take longer
than 2 seconds.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/