[ale] OT: gmail question

Derek Carter goozbach at friocorte.com
Wed Feb 23 17:17:20 EST 2011

On 2/23/11 4:27 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
>> Both valid points.
>>
>> I have found Linode to be a highly reliable service, though, so the
>> point on reliability is diminished.  I would not advocate running such a
>> setup on a home network, however.
>
> I run my web/vpn/etc. server off of Linode, however I have had one or
> two kernel lockups (though none since I started using pv-grub).
> Running e-mail securely is just not as easy as using Google Apps, even
> with the privacy risks and IMAP issues.

If you're not averse to Google knowing your email stuff, you could
always do the hybrid approach I use.

* My MX points to Google Apps for my domain, Google receives all my
email as an SMTP server, spam filters it, and drops it into a location I
can get via IMAP.

* My Linode runs a secure IMAP server, I use fetchmail[1] to pull down
all my mail from Google as well as other places (old corporate email,
hotmail, my gmail.com addresses, etc), and puts it into my Linode's IMAP
folders.

* I'm using Cyrus imapd on my Linode, which allows me to run sieve[2]
and smartsieve[3], to generate rules and so forth to file my mail into
the folders I want.

* I then connect to my Linode to read my email with Thunderbird.

Hope that helps.

[1]: http://www.fetchmail.info/fetchmail-man.html
[2]: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/sieve/
[3]: http://smartsieve.sourceforge.net/