[ale] make some apps/scripts run as root

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Feb 23 13:48:42 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 07:05 -0500, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> What equivalnce I am looking for is, in Windoze world the LAN admin
> installs Word as an admin and the next thing you know all users who
> login to that box get Word as an application and thats what I am
> trying to accomplish.

Then what you really want to do is roll packages.

There are multiple ways of doing that.  You can create a tarball that an
administrator will unpack in /opt, you can create native packages (e.g.,
rpm, deb, for whatever platforms you wish to support), or you can use an
"installer" program (most of them are written in Java and support things
like installing to a single user's home directory if they are run as an
unprivileged user, or to the whole system, such as in /opt, if they are
run as an administrator).

Whatever way you go, if you're looking for "easy deployment", rolling
packages is it.  For some value of easy, anyway.

	--- Mike