[ale] ALE forum ?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Feb 22 20:07:10 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 19:41 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Steve Brown <scbrown3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Boris Borisov <bugy at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >> No offense to anybody but why there is no forum for ALE group created yet?
> >> For me personally will be the easy way to follow the threads. I'm kind of
> >> tired trying to read email with multitude replies.
> >
> > You can also try the google group:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/atlanta-linux-enthusiasts/topics
> >

> I think that's read only.  But Boris if you are mostly reading it
> would help you out.
>
> Or there is likely a way you could be allowed to post directly from
> google groups.  Not sure.  (It says only the administrator can
> currently.)

No.  Then reply by sending E-Mail to the list.

Quite frankly, I'm massively involved in a number of forums and
collaborative sites.  Web forums suck, big time.  They consume massively
more time that I can afford to process the messages I deal with here.
Invariably too, groups that rely on web forums find participation drops
percepitously before long compared with E-Mail forums.  You simply do
NOT get the participation.  High volume forums do not thrive in that
environment.  I participate in hundreds of E-Mail forums and maybe a few
dozen web based forums.  The effort to keep up with the web based forums
is way higher even for that fewer number and discourages participation.
And it shows in the number of participants and the number of posts and
the number of replies.  Web forums suck.  Big time suck.

I would not participate in an ALE forum if it was not possible to do so
purely from an E-Mail standpoint.  I can no afford the time to visit
more than 100+ web sites a day to check their forums.  I can do that
with E-Mail.

> Greg

Mike