[ale] kernel boot parameters

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 12:52:44 EST 2011

Newer fedora uses modprobe.d/foo setup. May need to also add module to
blacklist file in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

If the system won't boot to edit the files, you'll need to use a live
CD boot process. However, the following _might_ work to add to the
boot line at a grub startup:

rtl8185b=0

assuming the name of the module is rtl8185b

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon at damtek.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 09:01 -0800, Boris Borisov wrote:
>> Is there way to pass parameter to the kernel to not load certain module? I have problematic rtl8185b wireless card in which case kernel trying to autoload rtl8180 or rtl8187 modules and the whole system just freezes. This is the case with Ubuntu 10.10, puppy 4.3.x series but not with Mandriva 2010.0. Thanks
>
> If you are using CentOS/Redhat/RHEL/Fedora Linux...
>
> Just open your /etc/modprobe.conf file and turn of auto loading using
> following syntax:
> alias driver-name off
>

> If you are using Debian / Ubuntu Linux...
>
> open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file and add drivername using following
> syntax:
> blacklist driver-name
>

> --
> Damon
> damon at damtek.com

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.