[ale] sendmail inquiry

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Feb 21 14:07:33 EST 2011

Haven't done that in a while - notes I wrote myself when I was
experimenting once:

Command to get mailx (on Linux) to send mail without using aliases and
specified email address:

mailx -s "subject" <email addresses> -n -- -F<from as it should appear>

Therefore:

echo "Test Message body" | mailx -s "Test Message Subject" -n -- -F
newdude at newcompany.com

Sends the test message body piped into mailx and passes the -n to
sendmail to not use aliases and then the -- -F sends to sendmail the
format the email address should take.

Of course you can pipe whatever is sending mail into mailx rather than
the echo I'm doing.   You should also be able to setup aliases if this
is a permanent requirement that all mail go out as newdude.