[ale] Riddle me this awk man

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Feb 17 20:44:52 EST 2011

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>> It works in cygwin!!!!!!
>>>
>>> That may be a first for me.  A linux bug that does not exist in the
>>> cygwin version.
>>>
>>> It might be a awk vs. gawk thing.  I'll worry with it tomorrow.
>> Then I'd say it's a bug in cygin.
>
> I'll have to try it in openSUSE tomorrow.  If it matches cygwin, then
> Ubuntu is the loser.
>
> If it matches Ubuntu, then I guess you could say the cygwin fails to
> duplicate the linux bugs present in awk!
>
> I'm not sure I want that good of a emulation!

I still wonder whether it's something to do with the actual number of
fields.  If the lines that you think have a single field end or begin
with a space, awk will think there is a null field.

Wait a minute.  Should you be using NF not NR?  NF == number of fields
NR == number of records.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."