[ale] Recording & Distributing ALE meetings (was Re: ALE CENTRAL MTG. for 7:30pm on Thursday, February 17, 2011 CE (reprise))

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:22:30 EST 2011

On 2011/02/16, at 17:49 , Pat Regan wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:14:33 -0500
> Derek Carter <goozbach at friocorte.com> wrote:
>
>> We don't yet have a VGA capture device, so we'll be filming the
>> slides using a firewire camera (I know kinda hackish).
>
> What about just doing a screencap video of the laptop playing the
> slides?

As you noted reading from the original post in a followup... I'm
thinking
it critical that the recording / broadcast process be external to the
presenter's system, so we don't have to rely on a lot of unknown
and unforeseeable quantities.    It's already problematic enough just
dealing with the VGA projector connection variables like having the
system outputting a usable screen resolution and scan rate in a
standard 4x3 aspect ratio and having a laptop and OS that supports
dual display routing (with a user that knows where to turn that on)
etc.

> I stumbled on an interesting video of a presentation last week.  I
> can't find a link because the content of the presentation didn't
> interest me, I can't search for it.  The format was what I found
> interesting.
>
> They had a small (too small) video on one side of the web page and the
> had images of the slides on the other side.  The changing of the
> slides
> was tied to video.  It was a pretty neat idea.
>
> Pat

This actually sounds very much closer to my ideal delivery form.
I don't care about the pixieo part so much - wasted bandwidth
at any size in my book -- but if you could tie the screen info to
the time line of your (ogg/mp3) audio track (think old school
film strip), then you'd have a very compact delivery mechanism
with high quality visuals.  Scaling the audio encoding quality to
single channel voice at 48kbps you get a 90 minute presentation
with full resolution screen shots into a file of 40 megabyte or less.

Once you have visuals, text and language, you've got the
overwhelming bulk of the communication.  Motion video is
mostly pocket fluff at that point.

peace
aaron

PS: the hosting offer is noted!