[ale] Recording & Distributing ALE meetings (was Re: ALE CENTRAL MTG. for 7:30pm on Thursday, February 17, 2011 CE (reprise))

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Wed Feb 16 18:26:21 EST 2011

----- arxaaron <arxaaron at gmail.com> wrote: -----
> On 2011/02/16, at 11:18 , Preston Boyington wrote:
> > Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
> > <snipped>
> >
> >> Additional resources:
> >> - Slides will be made available for download, as well as a list of
> >> links to reading material that will cover all of the topics
> >> mentioned
> >> in greater depth.
> >
> > any chance of a podcast of this also? I really enjoyed the last you
> > provided. (know it's time consuming and appreciate what you've done)

<...snipped...>

> On the same note, I've also been contacted this past week by
> Linux-etc <http://Linux-etc.com>, a Linux training a certification
> company, about contracting their [FLOSS based] webcast
> conferencing services. They have an account set up in my
> name but I need find time to activate it and test the setup
> (and I won't have any time for that before March).

To clarify some more, Linux ETC has a web portal access for Aaron and ALE to use one (Big Blue Button or "BBB" for short with a Drupal "front end" for user and conference room management) of our two systems (OpenMeetings being the second).  At this time we are leaning towards BBB for the various LUGs because of the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) idea/concept here.  However, BBB does not have a recording feature at this time (slated for v0.80 I am told though).

Also, Linux ETC is not just a Linux training company, we are also an Open Source consulting company as well. ;-)

> The Linux-etc offering is a paid service, but the costs are pretty
> minimal and if we were to arrange to share the expense with
> associate groups or seek some donations it might be doable.
> The service could include direct recording at the server for
> distribution as a podcast, etc.
>
> More when we have details from the Athens experiment.

If using the OpenMeetings system, there is a recording feature, as well as the ability to share it out.  We (Linux ETC) are testing this out some still, so I cannot comment on it in full at this time.  However, I will remark that it is not transparent for the presenter initially, but once it is start, it is transparent.

If Aaron is okay with the idea of ALE using the BBB system and if there are some volunteers to give it a "test run", please contact Aaron and myself off list to make the arrangements, and we can proceed from there.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Crawford Rainwater
CEO and President
MSEE, Linux+, LCP, RHCT, LPIC-1, Novell CLA

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550