[ale] Recording & Distributing ALE meetings (was Re: ALE CENTRAL MTG. for 7:30pm on Thursday, February 17, 2011 CE (reprise))

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 13:32:33 EST 2011

On 2011/02/16, at 11:18 , Preston Boyington wrote:
> Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
> <snipped>
>
>> Additional resources:
>> - Slides will be made available for download, as well as a list of
>> links to reading material that will cover all of the topics mentioned
>> in greater depth.
>
> any chance of a podcast of this also?  I really enjoyed the last you
> provided.  (know it's time consuming and appreciate what you've done)

We did a point to point Skypecast to the SPSU/ALE-NW group in
January that worked pretty well.   It was a good proof of concept
for the recording and transmission methods.  It also made it clear
where the distribution processes need to be streamlined.

I feel strongly that anything we do for capture or distribution needs
to be transparent to the presenter and run entirely external to
whatever system they use to present their slides or media.
In addition, it needs to be extremely easy to set up and
should require as little post production tweaking as possible.
Bandwidth requirements for capture and distribution are also
critical, so the lower the bandwidth needs the better.

Goozbach (Derek) is presenting at CHUGALUG in Athens for
their (third Thursday) meeting this week and I just loaned him my
Zoom4 and some microphones for a presentation recording
experiment they are running,  We didn't have much time to
discuss the details when I handed off the equipment, but it sounds
like an approach that would meet the criteria I just outlined above.
If the methods work, then this would make podcasting of our
meetings practical..

On the same note, I've also been contacted this past week by
Linux-etc <http://Linux-etc.com>, a Linux training a certification
company, about contracting their [FLOSS based] webcast
conferencing services.  They have an account set up in my
name but I need find time to activate it and test the setup
(and I won't have any time for that before March).

The Linux-etc offering is a paid service, but the costs are pretty
minimal and if we were to arrange to share the expense with
associate groups or seek some donations it might be doable.
The service could include direct recording at the server for
distribution as a podcast, etc.

More when we have details from the Athens experiment.

peace
aaron