[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Tue Feb 15 13:53:30 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 13:26 -0500, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> You state your OPINION that "deb just rocks" as if it were FACT.
> You're entitled to your OPINION but it doesn't match that of many of us
> who think rpm/yum is better.   In my case I know that is an OPINION and
> don't pretend it is a FACT as you seem to have done.
>
> These discussions are purely religious - you might list dozens of
> reasons why you think deb tools are better and others might state dozens
> of reasons to the contrary but none of them changes anyone's opinion
> into a fact.

Talk about religious views.  What I said is fact.  Back in 2001 there
was NOTHING in redhat like apt-get except apt4rpm: Fact.  .deb and .rpm
are technically the same with the same capabilities with the same info:
Fact.  apt4rpm did rock at resolving rpm hell, but it did not work as
well as apt-get on a debian system:  Fact.

Should I have said "apt-get/aptitude and synaptic just works?  So does
Yum:  Fact.  The backends are similar in design and info they contain.
dpkg and rpm both work:  Fact.  The front ends is what I was talking
about: Fact.  When apt-get and synaptic came out, there was nothing but
rpm hell (for me):Fact, but sujective.

I simply said I don't know why people (on the .rpm side) kept trying to
invent a front end when Debians worked so well.  That is fact, btw.  I
did NOT say today, yum is unusable or crap.  For what ever reason, .rpm
devs pushed forward with their own version of the wheel and made a
usable tool, also a fact.  I just don't know why when they could have
borrowed a wheel (and indeed as apt4rpm showed, some did), also another
fact.

Point of fact.  .deb is NOT better then .rpm.  Dpkg is NOT better then
rpm.  Now front ends may be different, but it took a few years for RHEL
to catch up with the ease of use and versatility of
apt-get/aptitude/synaptic.  To this day yumex is "experimental". Yum is
slower then aptitude.  Yum shows less info then apt.  I have never had a
deb database that needed to be rebuilt.  Perhaps you have.  If you like
a rpm distro, use it.  But don't get all defensive because I said
aptitude is faster and shows more info and does not eat it's backend
database.  That is but ONE tool in a distro, and fwiw, Fedora makes a
good distro.

Did you notice I said portage was the best?  I don't see any .deb
fanboys blasting me for that.  I also don't use any portage based
system.  It is OK for me that they have a very good package management
system.

Lighten up.