[ale] veteran unix admin

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Feb 15 13:02:48 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 11:20 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Um. yeah. Like the poster "Peters Laws of the Sociopathic
> Obsessive-Compulsive" I'm afraid to ever let a shrink see this list as
> well.

Wow.  "We don't use sudo"?  Seriously?  It is a "crutch for the timid"?

I am the sole administrator on a lot of the machines that I manage (not
all of them, but many of them).  I _still_ use sudo for everything that
I have to run as root, for no other reason than software can do
unexpected things, I can make typos, and I want to know what happened
and when it happened.  I use it for delegating privileges out to others
that may need to do a one-off thing here and there (such as reset
passwords, for example).

Now, I'm not saying that I've never used "sudo -s" or "sudo -i" (though
I usually add -u and another target user, I nearly never grab a root
shell that way), but yeesh.

I remember people at AT&T crabbing in the mid 2000s because they had
this newfangled "Sue Dough" thing, and they were like "why would we ever
need anything other than "su -"?

Hrm.  I wonder if this guy works for AT&T...

	--- Mike