[ale] error during installation "checking hlt instructions"

Sergio Chaves sergio.chaves at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:59:17 EST 2011

Carlos,

Does the problem happen DURING the install or AFTER?
I reload old PCs to give away with Linux and the majority of the issues lies
on two things:
A - An old, "bad" BIOS that the newer kernels just do not like it.
B - For some strange reason the old cd-rom cannot read the image cd properly

For A, try using the option "linux acpi=off" (no quotes) when starting the
install process.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

For B, I either put a newer CD/DVD-rom for the install only or do a net-
install by using these instructions
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Best regards,

Sergio Chaves