[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 10:21:08 EST 2011

If you learn how to use the tools...

rpm -q screen
screen-4.0.3-1.el5_4.1

So you have the package name along with the version number 4.0.3 and
the build number is 1, build environment is el5 (enterprise Linux v. 5
with patches to 4.1)

rpm -qi screen
Name        : screen                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 4.0.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.el5_4.1                     Build Date: Fri 27 Nov
2009 08:05:32 AM EST
Install Date: Thu 05 Aug 2010 03:50:49 PM EDT      Build Host:
x86-003.build.bos.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM:
screen-4.0.3-1.el5_4.1.src.rpm
Size        : 772081                           License: GPL2
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 30 Nov 2009 07:32:23 AM EST, Key ID 5326810137017186
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/screen
Summary     : A screen manager that supports multiple logins on one terminal.
Description :
The screen utility allows you to have multiple logins on just one
terminal. Screen is useful for users who telnet into a machine or are
connected via a dumb terminal, but want to use more than just one
login.

Install the screen package if you need a screen manager that can
support multiple logins on one terminal.

The "i" is short for "info". Lots of useful info.

rpm -ql screen
/etc/pam.d/screen
/etc/screenrc
/usr/bin/screen
/usr/share/doc/screen-4.0.3
/usr/share/doc/screen-4.0.3/FAQ
/usr/share/doc/screen-4.0.3/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/screen-4.0.3/README
/usr/share/doc/screen-4.0.3/README.DOTSCREEN
/usr/share/info/screen.info.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/screen.1.gz
/usr/share/screen
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/01
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/02
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/03
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/04
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/18
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/19
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/a1
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/bf
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/c2
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/c3
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/c4
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/c6
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/c7
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/c8
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/cc
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/cd
/usr/share/screen/utf8encodings/d6
/var/run/screen

The "l" means "list" so you get a list of all the files installed by
the package.

rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/pam.d/screen
screen-4.0.3-1.el5_4.1

This is a great one! It let's you find the package name that installed
any file on the system (other than user stuff of course).

So rpm gives loads of info based on what is requested.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:41 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> Five of the servers I administer at Clayton State are running RHEL4.
> Let's switch to talking about just the basic tools surrounding the
> package types and look at a simple example. For this example let's try
> to get some basic information about a package without having to do a
> bunch of research into the tools. That is we want to "query" a
> package.
>
> As you can see from the example below, rpm returns just about no
> useful information and apt actually tells you something. I have no
> idea what information is available in the RPM package that rpm could
> return. It seems to me that you have to _know how to build_ an RPM
> before you can get rpm to tell you anything useful. On the other had,
> apt just prints out its control file[1]. You, the user, don't _need_
> to know what a control file is, but you get the benefit of it being a
> requirement of the package format.
>
> So there's a concrete example, that is current as of this morning, as
> to why I prefer one format to the other.
>
> (N.B. Am I the only that is missing emails from this thread? I have
> not received the email from Chuck that Geoffrey replied to and I am
> now replying to.)
>

> [1] -- http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Debian-Binary-Package-Building-HOWTO/#AEN92
>
> ==== Example ====
> RHEL4:
> $ rpm -q screen
> screen-4.0.2-5
>
> Debian 6.0:
> $ apt-cache show screen
> Package: screen
> Section: misc
> Installed-Size: 984
> Maintainer: Jan Christoph Nordholz <hesso at pool.math.tu-berlin.de>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 4.0.3-14
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1), libncursesw5 (>= 5.6+20071006-3), libpam0g
> (>= 0.99.7.1), dpkg (>= 1.15.4) | install-info
> Filename: pool/main/s/screen/screen_4.0.3-14_i386.deb
> Size: 604930
> MD5sum: 4f2fe23c048e10f7592ab4be48fc9f12
> SHA1: b77be652725e1e93f22b2918c1b04ec517427b20
> SHA256: 6fbfe0e399c521fb433fdb4e8357927527c5dd392e3841f1441ea3ea6f0c7802
>  screen is a terminal multiplexor that runs several separate "screens" on a
>  single physical character-based terminal.  Each virtual terminal emulates a
>  DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions.  Screen sessions
>  can be detached and resumed later on a different terminal.
>  .
>  Screen also supports a whole slew of other features.  Some of these are:
>  configurable input and output translation, serial port support, configurable
>  logging, multi-user support, and utf8 charset support.
> Homepage: http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/screen
> Tag: hardware::input:keyboard, implemented-in::c,
> interface::text-mode, role::program, scope::utility,
> uitoolkit::ncurses, works-with::software:running
>
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> [...]

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.