[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 09:50:35 EST 2011

`man rpm`:
"SYNOPSIS
   QUERYING AND VERIFYING PACKAGES:
       rpm {-q|--query} [select-options] [query-options]

       rpm {-V|--verify} [select-options] [verify-options]

       rpm --import PUBKEY ...

       rpm {-K|--checksig} [--nosignature] [--nodigest]
           PACKAGE_FILE ..."

That leads me to believe that `rpm -q <package>` will tell me about
the package. Also, `rpm --help` _doesn't even mention_ the '-i'
option:

"$ rpm --help
Usage: rpm [OPTION...]

Query options (with -q or --query):
  -c, --configfiles                list all configuration files
  -d, --docfiles                   list all documentation files
  --dump                           dump basic file information
  -l, --list                       list files in package
  --queryformat=QUERYFORMAT        use the following query format
  -s, --state                      display the states of the listed files
  -a, --all                        query/verify all packages
  -f, --file                       query/verify package(s) owning file
  -g, --group                      query/verify package(s) in group
  -p, --package                    query/verify a package file
  --specfile                       query a spec file
  --whatrequires                   query/verify the package(s) which require a
                                   dependency
  --whatprovides                   query/verify the package(s) which provide a
                                   dependency"

Now compare that with `apt-cache --help`:

"$ apt-cache --help
Commands:
show - Show a readable record for the package
..."

Yes, the rpm manpage goes on to enumerate options I can pass to the
query option. And one of those options listed is "-i, --info". But why
wouldn't "info" be the default option for querying a package? What is
telling me only the package name going to do for me? I _told_ the tool
to look at that package. I don't need it to act like a parrot. I need
it to actually help me.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/