[ale] passwords

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Feb 14 09:07:06 EST 2011

Drifter wrote:
> the recent chatter about network security has, mostly, skirted around
> the password problem. Too many web sites that need strong security
> restrict passwords by length, or character set, or both. So also do many
> corporate web sites. Software exists that can generate random
> alphanumeric passwords, but they routinely suffer the same fault: being
> difficult to remember, users end up with notes taped to monitors,
> voiding the security.

Absolutely concur!  I get so frustrated with so many banks and credit
card companies that restrict character sets or lengths.  I've seen both.
  AT&T, for example, restricts certain special characters.  I always
like to mix in some special characters and numerics with my alpha
characters.

I belong to one credit union that restricts the length of your password
to 8 characters.  Grrrrr

> For the past decade or so I have been recommending that computer users
> pick out several favorite poems/songs and use them to generate passwords.
>
> For example, fans of mathematics might reach for Lewis Carroll:
>
> The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many things,
>
> which would generate the short password <tthctwsttomt>, which munged
> just a little bit becomes <TthctW5ttomT>.

My approach is similar.  I tell folks to use a sentence that they can
remember, whether it's a quote or just something that means something to
them.  For example, I've used in the past (obviously no longer, or I
wouldn't post here):

I am an avid backpacker and I love trekking the Appalachian Trail!

IaaabaIlttAP!

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."