[ale] How to test your public internet connection for open ports

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Feb 11 11:46:41 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 11:31 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hi Michael W.,
>
> I'll have to respond to other messages later.  I've spent the entire
> week typing emails.  I tried the test to your address.  I'll have to try
> the test to mine later.
>
> ron at dell-i1525-1:~$ telnet www.wittsend.com 12345
> Trying 130.205.32.81...
> ron at dell-i1525-1:~$
>
> The reply took about 1 second.

Sigh...  Yeah, actually, I did forget about one thing.  Can't win them
all.  That would have been a tcp reset you got back from there and not
an ICMP UNREACH.  Forgot how I had my server configured.

-j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Try this one instead.

telnet 130.205.32.5

-j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-unreachable

That one should give you an ICMP UNREACH HOST_UNREACH.