[ale] HELP, need to setup wireless access point!

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 9 15:00:34 EST 2011

Hi Paul,

Glad your system is working. Perhaps this will clarify how things are
working, or not. I'll tell you how my 3 router setup works. Keep in mind
that I have specific reasons for doing things this way, and I'm NOT
recommending it as a general case. In the general case, I recommend:
internet --> cable / dsl modem --> router
using only 1 router, not 3. The LAN function of each router is what is
exposed on the LAN or SWITCH ports of the router or the WIRELESS
interface. In a one router case, this would be your INTERNAL LAN. The
WAN port is what connects to (or toward) the outside world. In a one
router case, it will be your public IP. Generally, in the router's
control panel, you set the address on the LAN or INTERNAL network and
set it's DHCP server to distribute IP addresses to clients on the same
subnet, attaching to the LAN. Generally, you would set the router to
obtain it's EXTERNAL WAN address automatically from the ISP. In a ganged
router case such as mine, the inner router thinks the middle router is
the ISP, the middle router thinks the outer router is the ISP, and the
outer router thinks the cable modem is the ISP (which is true). Here's
how the addresses work out in my setup. Note that each router has
different LAN addresses.

Outer router - LAN - 192.168.80.1 - This address was set by me in the
LAN setup screen.
This is a wired router that I use mainly as a firewall. I don't attach
anything to it other than the next router.
Outer router - LAN - DHCP Server - The DHCP server in this router is set
to distribute IP addresses 192.168.80.2 - 192.168.80.200 to any clients
that attach to the LAN.
Outer router - WAN - connected to cable modem LAN port - public address
- 76.97.???.??? - This is the address given to the router automatically
by the ISP.

So the settings in the control panel for the router are:

LAN - Router IP - 192.168.80.1
- DHCP Server - ON
- Distribute IP's to LAN - 192.168.80.2 - 192.168.80.200

WAN - Get IP address automatically from ISP.
- DNS - manual override - use IP addresses for OpenDNS, in my case.

OTHER - NAT - ON
- Firewall - ON
- WPA2 Wireless Encryption - if applicable - long random password - ON
- UPNP - OFF
- Ping response to outside world - OFF
- Remote administration (from internet) - OFF

If you have only one router, this is all you need. My other routers are
configured the same way, except the addresses are different.

Middle router - LAN - 192.168.83.1 - set by me.
Middle router - LAN - DHCP Server - The DHCP server in this router is
set to distribute IP addresses 192.168.83.2 - 192.168.83.200 to any
clients that attach to the LAN.
Middle router - WAN - connected to outer router LAN port - 192.168.80.2
- NOTE, this router thinks the outer router is the ISP. This address was
assigned by the DHCP server in the outer router.

Inner router - LAN - 192.168.81.1 - set by me.
Inner router - LAN - DHCP Server - The DHCP server in this router is set
to distribute IP addresses 192.168.81.2 - 192.168.81.200 to any clients
that attach to the LAN.
Inner router - WAN - connected to middle router LAN port - 192.168.83.2
- NOTE, this router thinks the middle router is the ISP. This address
was assigned by the DHCP server in the middle router.

With multiple routers, as Michael T. pointed out, you may have problems
sharing things. With only one router, if you attach everything to the
same LAN, wired or wireless, you shouldn't have problems.

In my case, I have a shared printer attached to the middle router.
Anyone attached to the inner router or the middle router can use the
printer. If I attached to the outer router, I would NOT be able to use
the printer. The middle router is a Netgear, which allows you to reserve
an IP address for a certain function. So, I've set it to always give the
printer 192.168.83.4, based on it's MAC address. Therefore, I can always
set up each client to point to that IP for the printer, without worrying
about it changing.

I hope this makes some sense and is helpful.

Sincerely,

Ron