[ale] V6 question

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Feb 9 14:56:32 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 14:36 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 01:43 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > I gather Michael is saying the consumer box most users have is combo
> > fireware / NAT device.
> >
> > And all the security comes from the firewall function, not the NAT function.
> >

> OK, where does that put this device, my ADSL modem- ENDSL-A2+4R2:
>
> http://www.encore-usa.com/al/sites/default/files/product_file_datasheet/ENDSL-A2plus4R2.pdf
> Security
> ‧ PPP over PAP (Password Authentication Protocol; RFC1334)
> ‧ PPP over CHAP (Challenge Authentication Protocol; RFC1994)
> ‧ DoS Protection
> ‧ Stateful Packet inspection (SPI)
> ‧ Built-in NAT Firewall
> ‧ IP Based packet filtering
> ‧ Password Protected System Management
>
> it says "Built-in NAT Firewall. Is that JUST NAT, or is that a real
> firewall??

It may have a real explicit separate firewall or it may have it simply
that the statefulness of the NAT is performing that function.  If you
look at netfilter (iptables) you'll find the NAT is a feature of
netfilter.  That is your firewalling logic.  It's the same state
tracking in iptables that drives the NAT logic as drives the stateful
filtering.  That's a lot of the source of the confusion.  If you simply
eliminated the NAT and left the state engine and stateful filtering, it
would still be just as secure.

Regards,
Mike