[ale] Kind words for Windows? - was The latest from Gigabyte

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Feb 8 12:34:59 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 10:31 -0500, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
> Not offended, but frustrated. Windows Markets and uses $$ and its
> monopoly to ensure the things you want to do are difficult in Linux. I
> take this difficulty and work around it. GUI's suck for tasks and
> overall system support. I am very thankful I do not have to maintain
> even a single Windows server here. If you really want to understand,
> do system admin for both and then come back to report which is easier.
> Simply having relevant logs is good enough for me to understand.

The problem I think Ron is talking about is the fact that application
developers are more focused on Windows and OS X because they are systems
that they know are in widespread usage.

I think that eventually, they'll see that Linux-based systems are worth
supporting.  I've nothing against people making proprietary software
available on Linux-based operating systems.  I'm all about choice.  The
thing is that application developers are not focused on choice, nor do
they seem to really care about things like security or portability
(despite the fact that portability inherently helps security for a
myriad of reasons related to the way people work and the level of
abstraction that portability requires, since it requires more sane
program design to begin with).

That said, as long as people can support OS X and Windows, and if they
abstract the operating system dependent details out of the main code,
it's easy to support all three.  But again, most people don't care to do
that.

	--- Mike