[ale] Kind words for Windows? - was The latest from Gigabyte

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 8 11:20:03 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 10:48 -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:

> When Grandma (tm) can go to $store and pick up $hardware and load
> $linux and have all possilble $desired_hardware and
> $desired_software_functionality work out of the box, then Linux is
> mainstream, and not before.  (and I'm a linux admin by trade!  It's
> how I eat)

This is the main reason I don't try and convert people.  I use Linux,
they use Windows.  Fine.  Giving them a new environment and then they
struggle does nothing for Linux.  It just makes those that try Linux
from Windows go back to Windows and bash Linux.

Sure, Linux is not as plug-n-play as some things in Windows.  That is
not a problem for me.  I was using Linux in a time when our
configuration program was not "Control Panel" or in Ubuntu: "System ->
Administration".  Our configuration program was "cd /etc; vi <insert
file name here>".  Having that experience allows me to deal with the
struggles.  Having an extensive community and many resources on the
Internet helps deal with those struggles.

The one thing I HATE about Windows is the lack of drivers.  What do you
mean?  Remember I said I installed XP on two computers and sold them?
Those XCubes were manufactured in 2004.  I had lost the driver disks
because you don't need driver disks in Linux.  Luckily after searching I
was able to find Windows drivers for download from AOpen.  Had they
decided to discontinue allowing people to download them it would have
been game over for getting Windows on there.   Linux may not support
every device out there but from a driver distribution perspective it
gets it right!

The bottom line is that I love Linux and UNIX in general but amongst
others I try (key there is the word try) to keep it to myself.  If I
bring it up I usually hear "I tried XXXX Linux a few years back and it
would not run the programs I needed and my sound did not work" or
something like that.  Some people are just too old for you to change
their path.  They can't switch gears and try something new.  For many of
us that grew up using computers and grew up on the command line we
understand these GUIs intuitively.  I think that trait is rarely
discussed.  It is a virtue.  If basic rules are followed I can install
an application I've never seen and be able to navigate and use it to
some degree.  Many folks do not share this trait and an upgrade from IE6
to IE7 could create hysteria and confusion!  My mother is a prime
example where the computer needs to stay as constant as possible or she
will need a new training session.

I will agree with Ron on the drive image topic.  When I started working
on these PC's I wanted to find a way to image a fresh install of XP
without resorting to dd and a bootable Linux system.  I found some stuff
but mostly those were just a collection of CLI scripts that had
dependences that sucked!  DriveXML, runs under Windows, is truly an
awesome piece of software.  It is also free for home use.

I don't use Linux because of "ideological principles".
I use Linux because I prefer the UNIX environment and am
more comfortable here than I am in Windows.  I prefer CLI
whenever possible and typically have as many as 10 or more Xterms running
on my desktop.  I also understand the kernel and the OS enough to
make Linux do what I want it to do.  I have none of this
ability in Windows.  I started using Linux when DOS and Windows
were not providing me the mental stimulation I needed.  I was getting bored.
Slackware gave me new life.  Therefore, I do not run Windows on my desktop or laptop.

Chris