[ale] mythtv capture card issues

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:05:50 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha <savithari at gmail.com>wrote:

> Friends:
>
>   Thanks for your time and attention.
>
>    I am trying to setup the myth backend.  One of the sections is the
> Capture cards.
>
>    I have the Hauppauge PVR 150 (yes the analog card, serves me well).  It
> did    not get recognized.

Are we certain that the card is good? When was the last time it worked
properly? (I read that the card "serves you well," but understand this
phrase to mean that you are operating in an analog environment, not that the
card has been tested and known to work.)

Have you tried changing the PCI slot? IIRC, some of the PVR 150s had issues
with being improperly recognized -- sometimes it would be /dev/videoX then
next boot /dev/videoY. However, this was usually a "does not play well with
others" situation, and occurred when using the PVR 150 injunction with
another card such as a pcHDTV. Some people found that changing the pci
placement order helped with this problem.

I am using Mythbuntu 10.10 and a PVR500 + pcHDTV without issue. Both were
recognized without additional effort during setup.

>    I installed the ivtv-util package using apt-get, still no luck.
>
>    I think I now see IVTV-MPEG as an entry, but the probe says nothing.
>
>    I did lspci and dmesg but I dont see anything.
>
>    Any ideas how to make it get recognized ?
>
>    Which card is know to get recognized ?
>
>    Is there a MYTH fest around that you folks are aware of  ?

Perhaps it is time time to crank up another MythTV InstallFest?  The MythTV
Yahoo Group -- MUCH  (discussed earlier) originated out of a MythTV
InstallFest. That had to be about 2+ years ago.