[ale] V6 question

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Feb 5 17:14:11 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 16:44 -0500, Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Jim Lynch wrote:
>
> > Mike Harrison wrote:

> >> They'll be handing out THAT much address space?
> >>
> > IPv6 will have the space to create over four million unique addresses per
> > square meter of the earth's surface

> But what happens to them when we expand across the universe?

> It's not a matter of "will we".. it's a matter of when.

Yeah but, until they get that hyperspace tunneling protocol up and
working, ping latencies are going to be a killer.

> Can you tell it's COLD outside and we are all indoors and bored?
>
> Like I said, I think I've learned enough from the other Michael's to know
> I don't know much at all about IPv6 and it's time to start from scratch
> all over again.
>
> At least my Linux machines will support it well.. ;)

Linux, *BSD, Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, OS X, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 all
support it very well and have for a very long time.  Windows XP supports
it reasonably well.  It's even supported on Android.  If Android is on
Wifi, it autoconfs and away you go.  Sprint hasn't made it available on
their 3G/4G networks yet.  When they do, it will be there.

Mike