[ale] ubuntu 10.10 static ip and the woes

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 10:23:35 EST 2011

I don't know why that tutorial has you setup the static configuration
with the Gnome tools, which don't use the standard configuration
files, only to then remove the Gnome tools. They should just start
with the second part of the tutorial; which is the part that you have
not done.

1) Edit `/etc/network/interfaces` and create a static entry for your
network interface (eth0). See `man interfaces`.
2) Edit `/etc/resolve.conf` and set your DNS entries.
3) `/etc/init.d/network restart`

Done.