[ale] Fwd: Verizon quietly begins throttling data as iPhone launch looms

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Feb 4 16:03:02 EST 2011

all you Verizon data junkies...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/02/verizon-quietly-begins-throttling-data-as-iphone-launch-looms.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/02/verizon-quietly-begins-throttling-data-as-iphone-launch-looms.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>

Verizon has quietly begun throttling the wireless connections of its
heaviest data users, the company revealed in a PDF buried on its website
<https://ecache.vzw.com/imageFiles/Myacct/nda/images/docs/VerizonWirelessServiceInformation.pdf>
(hat tip to BGR
<http://www.bgr.com/2011/02/03/verizon-wireless-to-begin-throttling-data-speeds-of-heaviest-users-optimizing-content-starts-today/>).
The document explains that Verizon has begun two new network management
practices in order to "provide the best experience to our more than 94
million customers," and that they go into effect starting today,
February 3.

In the document, Verizon says it's using techniques such as caching less
data on its network, reducing network capacity, and sizing video "more
appropriately" for devices. "While we invest much effort to avoid
changing text, image, and video files in the compression process and
while any change to the file is likely to be indiscernible, the
optimization process may minimally impact the appearance of the file as
displayed on your device," Verizon writes.

--
Paul Cartwright

--
Paul Cartwright