[ale] Mozy is changing the pricing model.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 4 14:01:58 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 13:49 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> I've used opendns for years without much problem.  It's good for
> limiting what your teenager can do.

Speaking as someone who remembers clearly being a teenager _and_ as a
parent, this is fundamentally flawed.

Parental supervision is the _only_ way one can effectively teach what to
do and what not to do on the net.  Using OpenDNS to "filter" the
connection not only strikes me as incredulous, but unless you have a
firewall that blocks outbound DNS to everything save for OpenDNS, it's
going to be absolutely ineffective.  My five year old son can do
surprising things with my computer if left to his own devices.  I know
this because I've let him at it, just to see what he can do.  I'm
telling you, it was absolutely shocking.  In another year or two, it
won't be beyond his capability at all to update the DNS resolver
configuration.

A teenager can figure out how to do that (and do it) in no more than a
couple of minutes.  The only knowledge required is how to use a search
engine---no technical skill whatsoever is required.  At all.

	--- Mike