[ale] HELP, need to setup wireless access point!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Feb 4 13:58:15 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 13:35 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> I don't see what the problem is.  I go though two routers all the time,
> both doing NAT, to get to my internet connection.  The following should
> work fine with LAN cables between the parts.  Paul is welcome to call me
> personally if he needs help.

It will sort of work (for some value of "work") but the real gotcha's
happen if the two NAT's are using the same address range (a very
frequent occurance) and then conflict.  The inner NAT can get really
confused if his WAN port and default gateway is on the same subnet as he
is offering on the LAN side of the house.  This is one reason why CGN
(Carrier Grade NAT or ISP NAT) will probably use 240.0.0.0 and up.  That
block is reserved and discussions are ongoing at the IETF and recently
at an ARIN conference here in Atlanta.  Double NAT does break
somethings, though.  That was mentioned at that conference in that some
things are going to break with CGN that just can not be fixed (mostly
certain games, I heard them say).  It also won't help if you need a flat
address space between the WAN port and the WLAN wireless and the LAN
ports say for shared network resources and Windows stuff.