[ale] HELP, need to setup wireless access point!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Feb 4 13:39:48 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 12:27 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 12:04 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> >
> > ouch, well atnex switched me over this morning to my new business
> > class. WELL, the new modem is a 4-port adsl setup with NO WIRELESS..
> > ( He said he will ship me a new model that will replace this & have
> > wireless, but I need this to work NOW..
> > what I have:
> > 4-port modem connected to atnex.
> > what I need is one of my 2 routers to connect to the modem to give me
> > wireless access for my laptops.
> >
> > routers:
> > wrt54GL with DD-wrt on it
> > wrt160N with basic cisco firmware ( don't think this one can be
> > changed
> > to dd-wrt)
> >
> > I can work with EITHER, I just need instructions on how to change it
> > to an access point & work.
> >
> > right now my setup is modem has a local address of 192.168.10.1
> > whatismyip.com says I am 65.166.136.233 ( if that matters), and Milt
> > said I have NO access to the modem, as far as admin...

> You'll need to use your wireless router as just a switch in order to
> avoid double-NAT.  If you disable its DHCP, and ensure that it's got an
> IP address on the right subnet, all you have to do is plug the Atnex
> equipment into one of the normal ports on your wireless router.

> Do _not_ plug your Atnex equipment into the "WAN" or "uplink" port on
> your router.  If you do that, then you're not using it as a switch,
> you're using it as a router, and you'd need to configure the device to
> properly handle its own subnetwork.

Actually, that's a config option on dd-wrt to put it into a bridge mode
with the WAN and LAN ports all bridged together.  I do that all the
time.  I even have a wrt610N running with split SSID with one SSID
having NAT and the other SSID with tighter security and no NAT at a
remove site.  Love dd-wrt.

> Doing it this way takes advantage of the fact that all of the non-uplink
> ports are bridged together (that is, after all, what a switch is: just a
> multiport network bridge).  So, once you plug one of the normal ports
> into one of the Atnex ports you will be able to use the wireless network
> as an extension of the network serviced by the Atnex device.

> Does that all make sense?

> 	- Mike

Regards,
Mike